Lawrence Veterans Memorial
The Memorial was first proposed in 1997 by Carl Whiteman, former Township Board Clerk. The Memorial is to take the place of purchasing and planting flowers each year at the veterans grave sites. After many ideas, designs and comments from various citizens, a Veterans Memorial has been constructed at Hill Cemetery just west of Lawrence.
In the spring of 2001, the Lawrence Township Board of Trustees asked Thomsen Construction & Supply Co. to help construct the Veterans Memorial. The scope of the memorial project was something new to our company. It was a challenging and rewarding undertaking. Much of the funding for the project was from donations and voluntary labor from many individuals and citizens groups within the community.
There is a flag flying for each branch of the military service; a state flag, POW-MIA flag and the American flag, with lights lighting the service flags until 2:00 am and the American and POW-MIA during all dark hours. A black granite monument is the centerpiece of the memorial and has engraved in it the five emblems representing the Coast Guard, Army, Navy, Air Force, and the Marines with the words, "In Memoriam....For their loyalty, patriotism, dedication, and service to God and country". The walk way is constructed of colored stenciled concrete which looks like a colored stone walkway. There are 3 benches for sitting to relax and view the memorial.
A dedication took place on May 19, 2002. When in the Lawrence area, stop and pay tribute to our military veterans and remember how these veterans have served to protect us and our freedom.
Click on the picture to view in larger format
This Page Best View at 1024 x 768 Resolution
This page last updated 02/24/11
Copyright 2002-2011 Thomsen Construction & Supply Co.